Available Services at AHCH
At Albuquerque Health Care for the Homeless, we offer a diverse and very comprehensive set of services and programs. From medical, to dental, to mental wellness and substance abuse our mission is to help people become sustainable and healthy in a holistic manner. To learn more about our programs, please select one of the program series below.
Primary Care Services
Medical Clinic Hours
AHCH operates its own freestanding medical clinic. The clinic offers primary medical care and psychiatric services, with a volunteer-run eye clinic. A motel voucher program lodges clients with medical diagnoses requiring respite shelter for recuperation.
Representatives from the VA are in the Clinic 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM on Mondays.
Dental health is difficult for people experiencing homelessness to maintain and can have serious implications for their health and well-being. Dental services for indigent people in Albuquerque are severely limited.
Dental health is imperative to a person’s ability to eat well, express oneself, maintain self-confidence, and remain free of pain from such conditions as abscesses. All of these factors are essential to a person’s capacity to get or stay healthy, acquire housing and/or employment, and transition out of homelessness.
The dental clinic offers a full range of routine, emergency, and preventive dental services. Occasional special needs cases are referred to dentists in the community willing to provide pro bono care.
- Emergency Care
- Preventive Care
- Comprehensive Care
- Silver and White Fillings
- Root Canal
Walk Ins for toothaches are always available.
Dental Clinic Hours
Walk in visits for emergencies/toothaches are available M-F @8am and 1pm however will be accepted throughout the day if needed.
Appointments available everyday.
Same day appointments for patients with existing treatment plans or needing a new patient exam are available Tues and Thurs mornings. Many patients take advantage of the ability to complete their treatment plans more quickly.
Medication refills are given out between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm for patients seen by the provider that day, or for patients here for refills only.
The pharmacy is closed on Mondays and Thursdays from 12:00 pm - 12:30 pm for lunch.
Medical and social services outreach team visits shelters, motels, meal sites, public library, and other places where people experiencing homelessness reside, to conduct mini-clinics, screenings, and provide referalls.
This health center is a Health Center Program grantee under 42 U.S.C. 254b, and a deemed Public Health Service employee under 42 U.S.C. 233(g)-(n).
Harm Reduction Outreach
The Harm Reduction Outreach Program provides a variety of services to persons experiencing homelessness, substance use disorders and individuals seeking general services including referral to medical, housing, food and clothing. Services are provide by certified Harm Reduction Speiclaists at the AHCH campus and at multiple outreach sites that also provide services and care to people who are experiencing homelessness. The program functions using an integrative model in conjunction with the AHCH medical, dental, social services and case management programs.
- Contact Information: Kevin Santry, Harm Reduction Coordinator, office: (505)338-8040, fax: (505) 266-3199, e-mail: email@example.com office location in Building A.
- Hours of Operation 7:00 – 4:30 pm on Monday- Friday Outreach schedule is posted. Overdose Prevetion and Education training and Naloxone disctribution is upon request.
- Syringe Services
- Overdose Prevention and Eductiona Training and Naloxone Distribution
- Rapid HIV Couseling, Testing, and Referral Services
- Community response outreach
Resource Center Hours
Resource Center serves as a no-threshold point of entry where people who are homeless can meet their basic and immediate needs. It is a place where the client is engaged, sometimes for the first time, in care, sand connects people with referrals and services. The drop-in center offers coffee, food, referrals, and other forms of individual, group, and psychosocial support.
Friday ID and Birth Certificate Clinic: 7:00am
Coordinated Housing Assessments: Monday-Thursday 7:00am
Behavioral Health Services
The Behavioral Health Program provides a variety of services to persons experiencing behavioral health issues including individual therapy, group therapy, behavioral health assessment and crisis intervention. Services are provide by licensed behavioral health professionals (social workers and counselors) at the AHCH campus and at multiple outreach sites that also serve people experiencing homelessness. The program functions using an integrative model in conjunction with the AHCH medical, dental, social services, case management and harm reduction programs.
- Individual Therapy
- Group Therapy, including Seeking Safety for co-occurring Substance Use Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Behavioral Health Assessments
- Crisis Intervention
- Triage to Onsite Psychicahtric Nurse Practitioners, when appropriate
Appointments times for future visits are available and clients are able to walk in during the hours of operation to request the Therapist of the Day that performs initial visits and can arrange in many cases for same day appointments, behavioral health assessments and visits with established providers. Crisis intervention is available via the Therapist of the Day during the same hours of operation. Outreach takes place at the following locations/days/times:
- Barret House – Mondays from 7:00 – 9:00 am
- Good Shepherd Center – Tuesdays from 2:00 – 4:30 pm
- Transgender Resource Center – Tuesdays from 1:00 – 4:00 pm
- Street/Camp Outreach – Thursdays from 6:00 – 10:00 am (except the 1st Thursday)
- Noon Day Center – Thursdays from 12:00 noon – 1:45 pm
- Steelbridge – 2:00 – 4:00 pm
- Albuquerque Public Library Downtown – 2nd Friday from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Behavioral Health Hours
Case Management Hours
with inquiries about Case Management.
Case Management is offered to clients based on the client’s score on the Coordinated Assessment or through placement from a contracted partner agency. Case Managers assist clients with a variety of tasks including: finding housing, applying for benefits, building skills for activities of daily living (cooking, cleaning, paying bills, etc.), and identify other resources as needed. The goal of the case management program is to assist in housing and maintaining that housing within the broader community.
- Housing First program – For AHCH, housing is a human right and there is no readiness test for housing.
- AHCH is trauma informed and client centered – clients make their own goals and we strive to assist them in meeting those goals while recognizing many have experienced trauma and we strive to ensure that we do not increase that trauma.
- AHCH’s Case Management Program works with people who have linked with housing through voucher programs in scattered apartments and houses thoughout the city. We work with them in becoming fully independent of future case management services as much as possible – and for our clients to become fully integrated back in to the larger community.
Case Management is available and tied to completion of the process that each AHCH contractor requires for program participation.
ArtStreet is a community art studio accessible to all artists regardless of their housing status. Through our Open Art Studios, Art Therapy Groups, Art-Focused Outreach and Multiple Art Shows and Selling Events, we provide artists with an opportunity to grow as individuals and art makers in the community. ArtStreet focuses on using art as a way of building community, self efficacy and self-sufficiency. ArtStreet give artists a common forum to share their experiences, create art, and increase awareness of issues of homelessness.
ArtStreet projects are made possible, in part, by funding from the City of Albuquerque Urban Enhancement Trust Fund and by New Mexico Arts, a division of the Department of Cultural Affairs and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Open Studio hours are every Thursday 11:00 am – 5:00 pm and every Friday 11:00 am – 4:30 pm. Every third Saturday of the month, from 1-4:30pm, ArtStreet hosts a Saturday Workshop on various art making techniques. Please note that Saturday workshops are limited to 20 participants, so signing up ahead of time is advised. For both Open Studio and Saturday Workshops, we clean up a ½ hour before closing time.
For updated information on upcoming shows, events and studio hours, please visit the ArtStreet Calendar. To join the ArtStreet mailing list and hear about upcoming exhibits, please email ArtStreet or call (505) 248-0817.
ArtStreet is located at 1217 1st Street NW on the corner of 1st and Mountain.
YouTube Video Raises Awareness and Funds for ArtStreet, a program of Albuquerque Health Care for the Homeless
South Community Room